Bill and I were married 1947and sixty years later we're still glad about it. Our daughter Jessie was born 1948, followed by our daughter Andrea in 1952, and our son Richard rounded out the family in 1956. Marriage and parenting were both works-in-progress for us from the start and we're still working on it. We're grandparents, too. Sam was born 1987, Ben in 1991, and Sara 1994.
I joined a Child Study group when Jessie was a year old and from that point on I was hooked on groups. A few years later, inspired by the late Marguerite Nussbaum, the state coordinator for the Parent and Family Life Program of the Board of Education, I was invited to train to lead groups. At the age of 80 I'm still leading groups and training others to lead them. I recently concluded a pilot parent group in a Baltimore city school that was the most successful group I ever had, judging from the response of the mothers..
This program is based on "27 Secrets to Raising Amazing Children," and it is called Keep the Connection(sm) Workshops. In addition to my work with parent groups, I taught religious school for 25 years, conducted workshops for teachers on teacher-student relationships, did outreach work with alienated teenagers, and for over 30 years I counseled hundreds of parents whose children were members of destructive cults.
I love what I do. Aside from the instant rewards of seeing parents grow and change, I have attracted a little attention here and there:
- 1979 The Board of Jewish Education's Lipsetts Award "for excellence in teaching and contributing to the Jewish community."
- 1987 The Senate of the State of Maryland's official recognition "for devoted service to the Jewish community.
- 1987 As a result of a nationwide search among 50,000 women, WOMAN'S DAY Magazine's Outstanding Woman Honorary Award "for responding selflessly to the needs of victims of cults and their families with caring and dedication and in the process helping to make our world more decent and humane."
- 2002 The Senate of the State of Maryland second official recognition for ". . . many years of outstanding service."
- 2002 The Baltimore County Council's official recognition "for commitment and dedication to Jewish and humanitarian causes throughout the Baltimore community and around the world in the fields of cult awareness, victim and family counseling."
- 2006/7/8/9 Listed in Who's Who in American Women
- 2008/9 Listed in Who's Who in America